Theses & Job Opportunities
We are hiring!
PhD and Postdoc Positions
The Security & Privacy group at TU Wien is looking for outstanding PhD and postdoc applicants, with a specific focus on
- web security
- formal methods for security and privacy
- applied cryptography and privacy-enhancing technologies
- software security
- (mobile) systems security and privacy
Outstanding candidates in other disciplines are also encouraged to apply.
- 2 PhD positions as part of “IoTIO: Analyzing and Understanding the Internet of Insecure Things” on IoT and mobile security. (Deadline: September 15, 2020, but review of expressions of interest will start immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Start date: ASAP.)
These positions are supported by the university and by various projects, including
- the ERC Consolidator Grant “BROWSEC: Foundations and Tools for Client-Side Web Security”
- the WWTF funded project “IoTIO: Analyzing and Understanding the Internet of Insecure Things”
- the collaborative project with CoBlox Lab
- the collaborative project with Chaincode Labs
The employment is full-time (40 hrs/week) and the salary is internationally competitive (the entry-level gross salary per year is approx. 39K for PhD students and 52K per postdoc).
Interested candidates should send
- a motivation letter
- transcript of records (for PhD applicants)
- a research statement (for postdoc applicants)
- a publication list
- a curriculum vitae
- contact information for two referees
This is a continuous evaluation procedure and applications will be considered until all positions are filled.
Postdoc applicants are expected to have an outstanding publication record, while PhD applicants should have an excellent transcript of records.
The working language in the group is English, knowledge of German is not required.
TU Wien offers an outstanding research environment and numerous professional development opportunities. The Faculty of Informatics is the largest one in Austria and is consistently ranked among the best in Europe. Ph.D. students have the possibility to join the LogiCS doctoral school. Vienna features a vibrant and excellence-driven research landscape, with several leading research institutes (e.g., IST, AIT, SBA, RIAT) and universities continuously establishing collaborations in various fields, including cybersecurity. Finally, Vienna has been consistently ranked by Mercer over the last years the best city for quality of life worldwide.
Supervision of Bachelor and Master Theses
We offer Bachelor and Master thesis topics in various areas of security and privacy, including:
- Formal methods for security and privacy
- Smart contracts and blockchain technologies
- Systems security
- Mobile security and privacy
- Web security
If you have your own thesis topics regarding the areas above, we are glad to hear about them and validate with you their feasibility. In case you are interested, just send an email specifying your favorite research area and your transcript of records to email@example.com and we will schedule a meeting!
Funded Master theses:
- Large-scale Analysis of Attack Vectors in Software Repositories (20 hrs/week for one year) in collaboration with Jürgen Cito from the Interactive Programming & Analysis Lab